5.09.2011

Monday Update

I'm wrapped up in a couple of TV shows on Monday nights. I don't tend to watch a lot of live TV, since I prefer seeing a lot of episodes back-to-back, but there are two shows that have really captured my attention. If only there were something good to watch in between them, but no one puts a good show on at 8 o'clock on Mondays. (Darn you, Dancing with the Stars!)


First, at 7 pm on NBC, we have Chuck. This show is wrapping up it's 4th season, and it's amazingly hysterical. The nerd we all want to be with a super CIA computer in his brain, fighting crime in the most amazingly awesome geek way possible. High stakes UNO games over possession of a nuclear weapon, disarming said nuclear weapon with a juice box, and this week staging a break-in to a secured location using a plan concocted entirely from Star Wars. I've never laughed so hard watching any show as much as this one, and if you don't fall for the characters after 2 episodes, you may need professional help. If you've ever referenced a sci-fi movie, video game or comic book in regular conversation, this show is for you. Secret weapon: Adam Baldwin's love for guns..


Then, after pretending that I don't watch at least some of Dancing with the Stars, at 9 o'clock on ABC we have my other favorite show, Castle. Nathan Fillion (always watchable, even as Captain Hammer) stars as Richard Castle, a mystery novelist who follows around a female detective to base his book off her. The premise is no less reasonable than most crime procedural shows, and honestly the premise isn't what draws me to this show. The characters are some of the most fully-fleshed out that I've ever seen in a crime drama, and the relationships between them are the real reason to tune in to this show, after the antics of man-child Fillion of course. I'll be honest, I'd watch pretty much anything Fillion does just because I can't see him smirk without laughing. Secret weapon: Fillion's Castle one-liners and fancy toys.

So, now that I've spilt my guts about my TV favorites, let me know what your shows are. Because when the mainstream audience fails to adopt these show and they're canned, I'm going to need something else to watch. And if you are in the business of making TV shows, apparently all you need the please me is an impossible crime fighting premise and a cast-off actor from Firefly. (I'm seeing Alan Tudyk as a schoolteacher who fights crime with history lessons. Make it happen!)

3 comments:

  1. Burn Notice has plenty of character, for an action show. And The Mentalist has plenty of action, for a character show. Both are on my list of favs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watch so much TV it's ridiculous. Right now I'm getting through Deadwood, Cheers and SouthPark, as well as keeping up with Modern Family and The Office. and I have so many more on my list. I'm gointo start watching Justified soon, plus The Walking Dead season 2 starts in October. Chuck is on the list, and I've managed to watch a couple episodes of Castle (the steampunk episode especially).
    And on top of that I'm slowly starting to make my way through the TV collections I've recently purchased, including the entire Pretender collection and Carnivale. Also I need to purchase Dollhouse, after which I'll watch all of that again.
    *sigh* I know I missed some. SOOOO much goo TV out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Garret on Burn Notice. I just got into season 1 last week and I am now on season 4.
    But as far as crime-fighting history teachers go, that is just a little too close to Indiana Jones for my comfort.

    ReplyDelete